People often ask me about this tattoo.
It was the last of the one’s from my old life. Here is a picture, then a list of symbolism and then a poem.
1. Pierced to skin, like I am stuck to physical life (or as my friend Ange Sterrit said to me when we lived on the streets together; stuck on the physical plain)
2. Rope/noose is my suicide attempts
3. Stitched doll is a product of society or POE: Product Of Environment. The singleness of character of the doll is me being alone and hanging out in life. Anonymous or unidentifiable doll is that it could be me or many of my friends and many other youth in society…many people like me
4. Xs as eyes is intoxication
5. The tongue hanging out is being exhausted from physical life
6. The pins are 3 white power tattoos on front of my body and two white power tattoos on back of my body
This poem was written with the inspiration from Chrystal Desharmais’s Painting “The Healer” which was exhibited at the Groop Gallery. My writing mentor said that this painting reminded him of Goya‘s work. I listened to his passionate description of Goya’s work and the stories that go with his paintings. I realized that morning while me and my mentor were talking that art can have a deep profound connectivity. I reflected on how honoured I am to be asked by Al Rempel to participate in this type of event.